I wrote about my brother, Jeremy and how he has been helping me with html. And remember he taught me to drive. Pretty cool.
Jeremy made some wild choices in his youth. I don't want to embarass him but I don't feel too bad mentioning it since we have discussed it. But don't worry, Jeremy, I'm not going into detail.
But I will say he almost didn't graduate from high school (Me, too, actually! Different reasons though) Last year Jeremy received his Bachelor's degree. He did this while working at least 2 jobs as a single dad. I am impressed with him and how far he has come in his life. He is the only one of my siblings to receive his 4 year degree. (Someday I know I will finish)
I really wanted to get him a special gift. I thought about an engraved pen or something. I don't know what he would like. He is only a year older than me but we haven't lived near each other in over 15 years.
Jeremy made some wild choices in his youth. I don't want to embarass him but I don't feel too bad mentioning it since we have discussed it. But don't worry, Jeremy, I'm not going into detail.
But I will say he almost didn't graduate from high school (Me, too, actually! Different reasons though) Last year Jeremy received his Bachelor's degree. He did this while working at least 2 jobs as a single dad. I am impressed with him and how far he has come in his life. He is the only one of my siblings to receive his 4 year degree. (Someday I know I will finish)
I really wanted to get him a special gift. I thought about an engraved pen or something. I don't know what he would like. He is only a year older than me but we haven't lived near each other in over 15 years.

I decided on the perfect gift. Something to convey the feelings I have for him. I selected a carved piece from Mana'ia 'O Langi. Our friend Tatafu is a Tongan carver who specializes in bone and ivory. This piece I selected for Jeremy is bone and features my favorite design the manaia. It is a symbol of the heavens, sea and earth and new beginnings.
I love all the special symbolism to the pieces he handcarves and designs. I gave my husband one for Christmas and he has bought me 2! I will have to take some pics of those and put them here later.
I really hope Jeremy likes this. I think he will. When I looked at it again today I fell in love all over. It is the perfect one for him.
Tatafu is becoming well known and has had his pieces bought and worn by big names and even on television. He is a very warm humble man and deserves much success. His website is almost ready and I will definitely be featuring his link here. I wish I knew how to say thankyou in Tongan. hmm... Maybe next time.
3 comments:
he is from NH? or his wife? Wow! I love that image! I might have to use it for a muse for the next artsy collection of Hair Quilts(TM)?!?!?! I love mandalas too...worked with them a ton in Art Therapy school. Thanks for sharing this story!
What a touching story! I think your brother will love his gift and to know how much he means to you:)
Whitney
That is beautiful! Looks like a lot of the carvings I saw in New Zealand. Do you think there is any relation to the styles of Hawaii and New Zealand? I think the Maori make it in NZ.
Post a Comment