Friday, July 13, 2007

FRIDAY FOOD DAY

I wrote in my blog description above that I stitch and sew and cook and create. That's because I intend to write about about FOOD!

I love to eat! And I love to cook! I take my food very seriously. We saw the movie "Ratatouille" and I could totally relate. I eat alot of junk food but I prefer to eat things I really like and as Gusteau said "There will always be food for those who cook."

I love cooking as much as sewing but I hate to clean up either one. UGH!

So I have designated FRIDAYS as FOOD DAYS! I will feature a recipe, cookbook or tip or gadget that I enjoy!

Hope you like it! and tell me if you make it!

My 9 year old daughter is sitting here with me so I asked her to give me a favorite food. Adter listing a few frozen things (AHEM... I had to explain it's COOKING. She's giving away my dark secrets LOL) She came up with an easy fun kid snack she likes. Not difficult cooking but not frozen either.

NACHOS!
I make these in the crock pot from a recipe my friend Cathy gave me. Hi Cathy! I don;t know if it is her exact recipe. It is always a little differnt depending on what I add.

1 lb browned ground beef or turkey (drained and rinsed well)
1 block Velveeta cheese, cubed (Let the kids do this with soft knives or break apart with clean hands)
1 can cream soup (mushroom or chicken or whatever, it is break the string velveeta flavor)
1 can cheese soup (Nacho or cheddar or other)
Optional: Sometimes I like to add 1 more can to stretch it and creamit up a bit.
1 can Ro-tel tomatoes and chilis or a small bottle salsa

Melt the cheese and soups together... OhHeck! Throw it all together and melt it up! This is party/snack/kid food! Taste it and check out the consistency. Add more soup or a little milk to thin if necessary. Add more chilis if you want it hotter or some hot sauce. The meat is also optional but we can have this for dinner and I feel they're getting more protein.

You will need good crunchy chips and can have sour cream,olives, tomatoes, jalapenos, etc tot op your own serving or you can all sit around and dip.

EASY FACTOR:
Very easy. Throw this all in your crockpot on low and let it melt all together while you clean up for the party. Or Melt on the stove and keep warm in the crockpot for your party or transporting to a potluck. I have also taken this camping. I browned the meat and put it in a ziploc in the cooler and the other ingredients are all shelf stable.

I don't always have all this on hand, but we still love nachos any way we get them. Sometimes I just put the chips on the cookie sheet or stone and grate cheese all over and melt in the oven a few minutes. Then top with salsa and anything else. Throw beans on before you heat as well YUM!

And from my sweet husband: He used to take Stagg brand chicken chili and melt chunks of American cheese in it and eat it with chips. It was pretty rad!

Now this is easy cooking, but my kiddo requested it so here we have FOOD FRIDAY #1! Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

comfortable said...

Yes I am in hawaii :)
mmm nachos :) my favorite is probably the zippy's ones, they give so much!

Jen (Mama's Magic Studio) said...

Great entry! Too funny about your daughter's suggestions. My 2 year old son thinks that anything we do in the kitchen counts as cooking -- whether it's squeezing lemonade, making spaghetti, or pouring milk on cereal.

Kathi said...

great, now i'm craving nachos! thanks for visitint my blog. and hope to meet with you soon!