Being a mom is the most rewarding job in the world. But unlike a job with a paycheck, commissions and bonuses, the rewards can be harder to see. I wish my bank account was receiving a direct deposit every month from the Raising Our FutureIncorporated, of which I have been employed for over 10 years (if you count the pregnancy, and I do.)
No, the pay is pretty crummy. But there are awesome perks. When you are caring for children of God, he is also not going to leave you alone in this.
I love my children with all my heart. I read once that it is amazing how when you are awakened by the precious child you can have such angry feelings for disturbing your sleep which quickly softens when you discover them throwing up or fevered. This has happened many times and as recently as 2 nights ago. The 3 year old coughed so hard she puked. I didn't know this until I held her to comfort her and discovered the sticky, stinky mess. She got right in the tub, I changed her and the bed only needed 2 blankets replaced and she went right back to sleep after taking the cough medicine relatively well.
That was too easy! Score 1 for mom! I quickly fell asleep only to be awakened 2 hours later by the 1 year old. He calmed down with a drink and mommy loves. I ended up with a few hours and functioned all right.
While visting a friend in a condo last night, the 3 year old opened the door and let the 1 year old out who was found knocking on the door of the upstairs neighbor! It all happened so quickly and my heart was pounding. He could have been kidnapped or run over in the parking lot! I think I have a guardian angel.
This morning I was loading the dishwasher when that same 1 year old came investigating. I gently took the dirty silverware from him and replaced it in the holder. Next thing I knew, he was leaning over gagging. All of breakfast and night time snacks came flying out! My first thought was "Oh no! Sick kid! Mess!" But when I saw that all the puke was landing neatly on the open door of the dishwasher which was full of dirties ready to be washed, I said "Oh Good boy!" Perfect! The only place that could have been better for a pile of vomit would be the toilet or the garbage disposal.
I get no great paycheck, I am wearing dirty jeans and haven't showered today. I can smell a poopy diaper and have about 6 loads of laundry to fold and 7 more to wash. I have about 4 1/2 hours before I have to pick up 2 more kids at school and make them do homework, clean their room and do some chores. There are purple marker scribbles on the kitchen floor and I need a haircut. This is not a glamorous life, by any means.
I have read magazine interviews with celebrity moms talking about how they handle motherhood and work. I want to laugh and gag myself over my dishwasher door, too! Try real life with no nannies, maids, stylists and huge bank rolls. Try being married to an Army soldier on top of it!
That will all go in another blog. For now, I am looking right at the almost magical blessings of being a mother. My children are healthy smart and beautiful. I have strong hands, a big heart and somewhat stable mind. I find time to develop my talents and create beautful things. My children and husband are proud of me. I wouldn't win a beauty pageant or have my home featured in a magazine but I make a difference in the world. When things are going rough we are able to look to the little things that help smooth it out. I would be ungrateful if I took credit for anything going well. Someone might laugh that I think God has a hand in all of this, but it's a nice feeling to know you are not alone in life. Just like I want to ease my children's pain and frustrations, God will ease my burdens. He won't stop the child from puking, but he will make it easier for me to clean up so I will have time to cuddle them and teach them and love them.
And you can all be grateful I posted no vomit pictures. Lucky You!
2 comments:
I would link to this if you allowed them...this is text book mommy-isms!!! I'm right there with you sista!!! Although I have a dog that pees in the basement and has been known to puke on the carpet...sigh...Daisy is such a good dog though! 3 kids and I'll have to work on the puking in the dishwasher trick! Thanks for sharing this story!
I agree, GREAT post about real-life mommyhood! Sorry about the sick kiddos and the runaway baby. Sounds like you take everything in stride, though!
Post a Comment