Sunday, August 12, 2007

Happy Anniversary! I Love You More.


On August 12, 1994, I married my best friend. I remember the night before I couldn't sleep and I got up and wrote in my journal. I was so excited! Today we were talking about how young we were then and so silly.

While we were engaged I ran into an acquaintance, an older man with many years of marriage experience. He told me, "You don't even know what love is yet." I wrote about this in my journal saying "He's right. That was 2 months ago and I love him even more now then I did then."

It makes me laugh now to think about that. What was love back then? I had no idea how much I could love this man. Over the last lucky thirteen years we have gone through at least 4 moves and the birth of 4 children. He has stood by me through each grueling pitocin induced labor and gestational diabetes. He even gave me shots in my rear or arm to give my legs and belly a break. He held me while I cried through 3 miscarriages and post-partum depression. I've watched him mop floors, mow lawns, wash cars and sit up with sick babies. He's seen me at my absolute worst even being puked on during morning sickness and labor. He's attracted to me at any size. He stayed calm when I backed the car into a the same pole 3 times in one month. I wrote him everyday while he was at basic training. We've endured countless separations for training and field exercises. I lived for his emails when he spent a year in Afghanistan. And now my heart is sick as we prepare for a long deployment in Iraq.

He is the most patient man I have ever known. He will sit and wait for me while I am on the phone or sit out in the car waiting to leave while I say my long goodbyes to friends. He is proud of me and my talents. He has encouraged me in every business venture or project I embark on. He never complains about yet another new bundle of fabric or notion or gadget. He'll drop what he is doing and help me find things or fix things. He plans fun activities for our kids and vacations and trips. Each of our children adore him and he deserves it. He is the best daddy in the world, so attentive to their needs. He drives me crazy at times because he is worried about if they are comfortable or having fun. He sacrifices so much of his time for our family. We are his hobby.

I could fill a book about all the great things he does. He cooks, cleans, organizes, watches kids and even watches friend's kids so I can hang out with the girls. He works hard to provide for us. He really wants me to be happy.

Once when we were engaged he wrote me a note after I got mad that he had overslept and missed a social engagement (He worked nights and I was immature.) He got me flowers and wrote "I hope you always feel my love."

My husband is not perfect. I know that better than anyone in the world. On another day I could easily write a post about all the things he does that make me mad. But I could never dispute he is perfect for me and I wouldn't want to be married to anyone else. Most of all, he makes me feel his love for me. ( Plus, isn't he a babe? He is so cute with all that hair. But I have to say I like the buzzed look and he is getting better with age.)

The spark and magic of falling in love has long fizzled out. But it has been replaced with the energy and reality of a family. What was love back then? I know I loved him, but I had no idea what real love could feel like. And I can tell we are only at the beginning. I don't know what kind of trials are ahead of us and I know we can't stop working on always making our marriage better. But it's been worth it every step of the way and if we are together, I believe we can face it all just fine.
P.S. Happy Anninversary, Mom and Dad! You're the best examples of a good marriage and I'm proud we share this day with you/

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

soooo beautiful!

Anonymous said...

yes, i've already posted a comment but i've read this again and again and again and told others to read it too.

and, i've passed on the weirdness tag.

My Little Cuddle-Bugs said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing! It sounds like you are very grounded and your marriage is very strong! Congratulations on 13 years and I hope you have a wonderful road ahead!! You write so beautifully, this post is so very touching and beautiful!!!!

Kylee said...

Hahaha! I love this picture and your stories! I Can't believe how much hair Lee has...and yes you do look young! Both of you, but gorgeous! You look the same to me, it's Lee I didn't recognize so much. Don't tell him that! It was my parent's 31st anniversary on Aug. 11th, right before yours! You guys are a great example for Randell and I! ALOHA!

Angela said...

You are all so sweet!

Yeah Lee looked so young! I'm looking similar because I have long hair again. Wish I was tiny like that though!
Aloha, Kylee!

Flo said...

So sweet. It's so amazing when you can recognize all of the wonderful-ness in between all of the daily stuff. Congratulations on have a stronger love today despite so many struggles. Thanks for sharing!