Sunday, August 5, 2007

My Lucky Day!

If my friends read my blog, I am sorry if this what I already shared with you. For the rest of the world, I want to tell you about my lucky day!

(and my friends who don't read my blog,Come on. You are missing out.LOL)

Yesterday, I went to the Sewing Expo in Honolulu. I was thinking of my friends who sew but came up with only 2 people who are so busy. (1 has a rental company, helping her sick husband and the other is a homeschooling mom of 5 kids. I didn't even ask if they were interested)
I lucked out that my husband got off early to watch the kids and a good friend picked the older kids up from school. I hurried down in traffic and was disappointed my regular entrance to the parking garage was closed and I would have to drive around the whole block. As I drove around I found a spot right in front of the box office. How lucky! But I would have to move my car by 3:30 PM or be towed.

I was a few minutes late to the class I wanted to attend with Pam Damour, the Design Diva, about running a home based business. It was an awesome class and Pam was great. Check out her books and DVD's. http://www.pamdamour.com/

My shopping was going great and I kept looking at my watch to make sure I made the car parking time. I ran into an heirloom sewing supply booth and was invited to the heirloom sewing class at 4 PM. No problem, I just have to move my car.

On my way to move my car, I stopped at the Keiki Aloha Quilts booth to learn more about this cool organization which supplies quilts to children in need (foster children, hospitalized, drugaddicted). I was definitely interested and very interested in their cool fundraising cookbook, but I didn't have cash. I would stop at the ATM on the way out to move my car.

It was after 3:30 but I decided to hit the ATM before I moved my car. I was still clear and there were other cars still parked so I felt safe. It took an unusually long time at the ATM. By the time I was done, a cop was giving me a ticket!!!

I hurried to the street as he was walking to his car. "Oh no, you got me," I said. He told me I was lucky the tow trucks hadn't come yet and suggested I could say the sign was turned and I didn't know. I told him that would be a lie because I knew I was wrong. He asked if I had ever been cited and when I said No he said that he was surprised by my "cheery disposition" because he cites some people 5 times and they still argue with him. He said the cost would be $55! Ouch!

I took the ticket off my windshield and started to unlock my car (I was driving my husband's "teenage boy car") The police car pulled up next to me, the officer rolled down his window and motioned "Come here." I stepped forward and he reached out, took the ticket and said "I'll take care of it."

No way! I thanked him sincerely and drove off to the parking garage on the other side. I was floating and wanted to share the love with everyone.

I got back in time for the heriloom class which I enjoyed very much. The instructor, Debra Justice of http://www.laboursoflove.com/, hooked me up with some great products and I had another lucky thing. I met a young woman who lives on the island who is into heirloom sewing! I have been searching for someone who does this on the island, and here she is, and wouldn't you know her name is Angela, too, and she's a military wife! A sewing friend! I had a great time talking sewing with her and intend to call her soon.

I am havings software problems with my machine so I stopped and talked to one of the visiting Viking reps who I met earlier this week. He was very helpful and I was so happy. (Unfortunately, I will be taking my machine in because I am still having the problems, but oh well!)

On the way out I started to pass the door prize table and the nice lady sitting there invited me to still put my name in the drawing so I could be on the mailing list. I teased that I had been there all day and should have put it in earlier unless she wanted to draw my name right now. (I don't mind teasing with strangers)

Would you believe that woman gave me gifts for all 4 kids? 3 stuffed animals and a bag! She gave me her card and told me to ask for her if I want to come the next day and I wouldn't have to pay again. She is the VP of the expo! What a sweet woman!

I feel very lucky, yes, but more than that I am so blessed. These people I met throughout my day, including those I didn't mention, blessed my life. Does that cop or the door prize lady know they helped make my day? That they were among the multitude of angels who come in and out of my life and help make it sweeter? I pray that they will be blessed in their lives, not just today, but that their families will be blessed. There's a lot more than just luck. We can make our own luck and help make other's days lucky. I want to work hard to do both and not just long for what I don't have. I want to make someone's day sweeter, as well.

I stopped at L&L DriveInn to get food and saw Kim who always remembers me and greets me. She gave me water to help my cold (which isn't very lucky) and made me feel important. And for once in a long time my garlic chicken was tender like I like it.

I went to bed feeling content and full of love. As I changed my clothes I caught my reflection and discovered I lost my earring. An expensive one, a gift from my husband. My heart sank, but only a little as I searched for it. I still haven't found it and may never find it. On another day, it would have ruined my day and I even thought "well, so much for my lucky day!" But it's all good. Life is good.

4 comments:

Samantha Caffee said...

Hey friend, thanks for all your kind words on my blog! I looked at some of your pics, your colors are so pretty! I just love your fabric choices!My sis is having twins soon and I'm thinkin of making her some bibs, You have some adorable ones. My Etsy is not very stocked, I originally wanted to stock up and be really going by now, but I've been so busy getting ready for my sisters babies, I've not had the time! So nice to chat with you. I've added you to my favorites, I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Jen (Mama's Magic Studio) said...

Wow! isn't it nice when fortune is kind to you? so nice to hear about a lucky day.

btw, TAG! you're IT!
http://mamasmagic.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Your dad taught you to be charming and friendly, and I taught you to be honest and always tell the truth. Together, you're a wonderful friend, mom, wife and daughter.

The Eagle Act said...

Wow, what a day. Thank you for writting that. I'm going to make someone elses day "lucky" too!!