Friday, August 17, 2007

A Tale of Two Dresses: Part 1


On my labels and cards for AMK stitches I have put "Thoughtfully created for those you love". Every time I create something I imagine who it is going to even I will never meet them. This summer I have been involved in a labor of love and I can't wait to share it with you.


I have been in awe of heirloom sewing for years and never really believed I could do it. After I bought my new sewing machine last Spring, my confidence grew and I wanted to try this new (old) art form.



Most religions and cultures have a special ceremony for a new baby, whether it is a christening, dedication, naming or bris. In our church, babies are blessed by their father or another elder. All these occasions call for a special dress. When I found out my sweet sister in-law was pregnant with her 3rd girl I offered to make her a blessing gown and figured it would be a great opportunity to try my hand at heirloom sewing.


Many times I felt I was in over my head, especially when a good friend asked me to sew a gown for her new daughter, as well. Over all, though, the entire experience has brought so much peace and satisfaction. I researched, read books, asked questions, prayed hard and was able to meet new people to guide me. Stitching batiste, lace insertion, ribbon and entredeaux, I discovered something that has been in me all along. I have become an heirloom sewer.


Something that happened that surprised me was how much love I felt for the mothers and babies who would be enjoying these dresses. I met my sister in-law, Heather, 20 years ago this summer at church girl's camp in Belgium. She told me she had a little brother who would be perfect for me. And he is! I was only 13 and Heather, who was 15, was as gentle and kind as she is now. I have always gotten along well with her and love her sweet husband, Brent, just as much. They were unable to conceive for many years of marriage before adopting their oldest beautiful daughter. Since then she has given birth twice and is a devoted mommy to these 3 girls who are each such a miracle. I am blessed and privileged to create a gown for Eden's special day.


A litte about this dress: I used cotton French lace insertion , trim and beading with silk satin ribbon and embroidery on heirloom batiste. The slip is made of poplin to give it added body and I've added pintucks and entredeaux. The baby's full name and birthdate are stitched on the hem. I also created a matching hanky bonnet to be used when she gets married and needs something "old". Please go see my Flickr page for my photos of this gown.


Welcome to the world, Eden! Your favorite Auntie loves you! Your mom better send pics of you in this to me!


Next: The tale and pictures of my second heirloom dress!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful dress Angie. Best to Eden on her special day, September 2nd. Love, Her other "FAVORITE" Aunt.