Friday, August 17, 2007

A Tale of Two Dresses: Part 2


I'm an Air Force brat. We moved around every 3-4 years growing up so I would never see some of my friends ever again. We moved to The Netherlands in 1984, I was in 5th grade and met my friend, Annette, when we were living in temporary housing. We had a lot in common: same age, same church, big families, and we each had crushes on the other's older brother. Annette was a cute girl, blond and funny. When I see young Lindsay Lohan in movies, it reminds me of Annette way back then.


Annette was at the same girl's camp where I met the girls who would one day be my sisters in-law. A great memory is Annette in a canoe on a lake in Belgium in a water fight and yelling to the locals "You can't do that to us! We're Americans!" Annette was funny, sweet and loyal. Like all young girls we had our share of petty differences and I wasn't always the best of friends. I hope she forgot that I once kissed a boy she liked. I'm so sorry, Annette! He wasn't even that cute! It wasn't worth it!


Her mom is an awesome seamstress and taught me to counted cross-stitch which was my hobby of choice for many years.


We were best friends and she is my oldest friend. After leaving Holland, we kept in touch and saw each other as teenagers since her grandparents lived in the same state I lived in.


Her family moved a couple times and I was able to get in touch when we got married and for a few years after. Then I went for several years with no contact. Thank goodness for the internet, because I was able to find her a few years ago. Talking to her was like no time went by at all. She visited Hawaii last year and I got to see her and her sweet baby boy and handsome husband. We also were able to visit them on a trip to the mainland last Spring.


Annette is tall and gorgeous! Even pregnant she looked cute and trim and radiant. She is a nurse and personal trainer and I hate to admit but my short plump self feels a little dumpy around her. But she is still one of my favorite people ever.


When I started selling online I sent out my info to all my friends. She asked about the blessing dresses I make and I was worried I would step on her mom's toes if I sewed one for her new baby girl. But no probelms there.


I am so honored to make this for Annette's baby! There are only a few friends from high school I keep in touch with so it is amazing that I have known her this long, we both have moved so much and yet we are still friends. She is precious to me, just like my family. We used to say we wanted to marry each other's brothers and then we would be sisters. We are both very glad we didn't marry those boys, but I am glad we are still friends. I am so excietd for her family adding this new beautiful girl, Claire.


Thank you so much, Annette, for giving me the opportunity to share in something special with you. As I sewed it, I recalled so many happy times with you as a young girl. It is exciting to make this for your daughter after 23 years of friendship.


A little about this dress: Annette requested a collar so even though the pattern didn't have one, I had already tweaked it beyond recognition for Eden's gown, so I added the collar. I also revised the sleeves. This dress changed so many times. Annette said she wanted simple but fancy so I bought a bunch of gorgeous venice lace and it was all wrong. So I set it aside for something else. I went to town on pintucks and beading with silk ribbon. It is better than I would have hoped. The slip is also embellished with pintucks, embroidery, entredeaux and personalized with her name and birthdate. I made a hanky bonnet with her name on it for the something "old"when she marries. This dress is different in many ways from Eden's but these 2 mothers are very different. I can't wait to see how the babies look in them. Check out my Flickr page to see pics of both gowns.

6 comments:

Samantha Caffee said...

They are beautiful! I love the story behind them. Very good job!

Stacey said...

Beautiful Dresses!
This one is my favorite. :)
Love your blog.
Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hey, I was there 20 years at that famous (infamous?) girl's camp too. Annette and Angie were in "my group", I was there "leader". What a week! We had a flash flood through our camp ground and then the Holland/Belgium version of the Red Cross came and set us up with cots, wool blankets and such in the camp ground's church. I also remember these two girls getting into trouble (or was it them getting ME into trouble?) with their antics. Anyways, my best to Annette who I've not been in contact with for these many years. If I remember correctly, I had a crush on her older brother too. Now that's a flashback. Ouch.

Amber said...

What a pretty dress and what a wonderful story behind it!

Anonymous said...

That's my girl! Wonderful job daughter, I'm proud of your talent.

Anonymous said...

Your dress is beautiful. I am so impressed with your workmanship! I know your friend will be thrilled with it and how it is going to create such marvelous memories!!