In the Building Your Home Based Business workshop at the Sewing Expo in Honolulu I attended, Pam Damour tried giving us ideas on how to expand. She asked a lady who creates jewelry if she ever does special custom orders for people. The lady replied, "No never." When asked why she said "I am very picky and I only like to do things my way and wouldn't want to do someone else's idea."

I raised my hand and said" I have a different idea about that. I love being creative and have some great ideas. But my creativity and imagination can only go so far. When a friend or customer asks for something special it stretches me and makes me go 'Hmmm..yeah I want to try that' whether it is a new design or fabric combination, I can learn something from it. And it may become something I can sell
to someone else." I love sewing because I love creating new things and new ideas.
I was able to create a custom order for a special customer this last week which required me to go the extra mile. I went searching for a special fabric, which isn't something I plan to do regularly but her ideas intrigued me. It became a treasure hunt to find the perfect fabric for this customer. I loved what I found and she did, too. I hope she will be as happy with the finished product as I am. It is beautiful and was created for a special baby boy. I doubt anyone else in his daycare will have anything like it!
No comments:
Post a Comment