Thank you for your sweet comments on the puke! Sometimes I post things and later think, that may be inappropriate. But I think most people who read this blog are moms and hearing about puke doesn't bother me.






Now if you come here because you want to see things I sew, well this is your lucky day! Inspite of the craziness, I have fit a bunch of sewing in. I am working on a long blog showing a special blessing dress I made for a friend from her mother's wedding dress. I have been meaning to do this for a long time, but I am still organizing my pictures.
I love babies. No doubt about it. I love how they smell and feel. Once I was in line at the bank with one of my newborns and a woman said "Ewww! That newborn cry! I can't stand that sound!" Huh? You crazy, rude dummy! Now there have been times I have heard that newborn cry from someone else's baby and thought "I am glad I don't have a newborn right now." or "Thanks for making MY milk let down." or "Thank goodness I don't have to worry aboout my milk letting down." All that. But I also think "What a sweet sound!" I love babies at all ages and I love making baby things.
I love making baby blessing outfits and have made many over the years. The better I get at sewing (and I am constantly improving. Anyone with a hobby or art ought to agree that you can see improvement in things you create.) the more I love to make these precious outfits and gowns. I love the special tiny details. And I LOVE that this is for a special day. In some religions they call it christening or baptizing. In other churches it is a dedication as they present their child before their congregation and the Lord. In the LDS religion it is a baby blessing where the child is given a name and a blessing. All of these events are equally special for all families because we love our babies and we love our Father in Heaven. That babies can even survive and make it here is such a miracle and I am especially honored and thrilled when someone asks me to make a blessing outfit for them. I fee they are entrusting me with a precious responsibility. I am dressing their precious miracle in special clothing that may be passed down through generations. It will be photographed and saved. This may be the first time the child is brought to church. Family may come to visit for the occasion. It is happiness!
So here are some outfits for you to see and I will tell you their story. Notice the 2 little outfits above? They look like they are for twins. Almost! Twin cousins, due a couple days apart. A friend in my ward asked me to make these outfits for her son and her brother's daughter. This niece will be her first on that side and she is very excited about this. Her children are the only grandkids so she is thrilled. Her brother went on an LDS mission to Hawaii and of course, she lives here and her baby will be born here, so it is fitting that she chose white Aloha print for these outifts. She had some specific requests, but let me play around and I sure did! I had been in a slump and making these picked me up in a big way so I am very grateful.
I didn't set up my post right so I will tell you all my construction details here. That beautiful detailing on the girl collar and hem? That is called Spanish hemstitching which is the new politically correct term for the classic technique known as faggoting. I love how it looks similar to lace and matches the picot edge on the ribbon. So sweet and dainty for a girl. My new favorite embellishment with one of my new expensive presser feet. I have made this pattern a couple times in the boy and girl version, but they have never looked like this. Definitely my favorite version of the girl's dress with the special collar, hem and removable bows.
On the boy's romper I added piping, and his mom wanted the elastic legs changed to cuffed legs with buttons. This was a bit challenging and I wasn't able to get the snap crotch in, which I feel badly about. But I still like how they look. She also wanted a vest and bow tie. Oh my gosh, how cute are tiny boys in tiny ties?! This was fun. I made up the pattern on the satin vest which definitely dressed it up and the tiny bow tie has little tabs underneath which snap under his collar. Perfect! and inspired I have to say. Ideas come to me in the night and I sew things up in my sleep a few times before I make them. She wanted the 2 outfits to be connected besides the fabric so the little pleats and tiny buttons really complete it.
I am SSSOOOOO happy with how these turned out. Looking at the pictures again I am falling in love again. I am really looking forward to seeing this new little boy in this outfit and pictures of his sweet cousin in the dress. Thanks Emilean for trusting me with this special assignment. And I am still making you some panties.
3 comments:
Beautiful!!!!
These outfits are soooo beautiful and look like quality work! You are awesome, Angie. You should totally start doing blessing and baptism outfits for the members on the island - I would buy from you!
- Sara xx
I LOVE IT!
they loved it and I can't wait to have it back from her shower. Angie it's just perfect. I get emotional just looking at them together. That'll be the only time they'll be together. I guess it's that I wish they could be blessed together. So with these matching outfits they can.
Bless you .
EmilieAn
Post a Comment