Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Halloween Past


Halloween is coming so my mind is full of ideas for my kids. And as usual I am already making a costume for someone else, a good friend of mine who asked me to sew for her daughter. We are making a nice trade so that is good. I have sewn for Halloween every year since 1998, except 2005 when I was pregnant with baby #4 and the husband was at a 2 month school and I taught a children's performing group and I was too tired!
One of the funnest things about having more than one child is that you can have a Halloween theme for their costumes. The flapper costumes you see here are from 2003 when the movie "Chicago" came out. I thought Charlotte had hair like Roxie Hart so I decided to make the flappers in black and white. I guess I scanned the pictures way back along with this one of a first day of school. I hung a sheet in the dining room and used black and white film (yes, film) to take pics of the girls and, boy, do they know how to pose.
I made up the pattern myself and spent alot of money on beaded trim. They loved the headbands and feather fans. They are almost 6 and almost 4 years old here. So adorable I could just eat them! They have gotten to big too fast!

3 comments:

Our Ohana said...

so cute! Yes, they did grow up too fast, as all children do - especialy the cute ones! O love the flapper dresses. You are awesome!
- Sara xx

The Metcalf Five said...

Love the dresses! Laurel was telling me that she wanted to be a purple bat this year for Halloween......Then when we went to the store the other day and she saw all pretty princess dresses, she wanted to be Snow White. Who knows what it will be now? I kinda liked the bat idea. Whatever.

Leann I Am said...

WOW! You did a really great job! I don't really sew all that well, but my mom has made most of my kids' costumes over the years.

My kids change their minds and are so opinionated about their costumes. I like the theme thing, though. Last year, 5YO was Ariel and 2YO was Flounder. My mom bought the Flounder costume online because it ended up being way cheaper than buying all the fabric. Why is that?