If you read the last post you know that winter kicked my fanny. I bought a whole bunch of lovely blue yarn and decided I would crochet an afghan. Crocheting seemed like a really good cozy warm thing to do during long winter nights. One problem: I hate crocheting! And I suck at it! Well, that's 2 problems.
But I love yarn. I don't always like handwork but I like embroidery.
Shortly after moving to my new town I learned the ladies at church were getting together to sew and crochet and do something called Swedish Weave. I finally saw what this was and thought "huh..ok" I recognized it as huck embroidery which I had seen in books. Later my friend Daria showed me a Swedish Weave throw she was working on. The colors and pattern looked so cool, like a tapestry and her 4 yarn colors made it look variegated. I think I might want to learn that!
A few days before Christmas I went to her house so our kids could play. She presented me with a piece of prepared monk's cloth and yarn. She had bought it for another woman at church who wanted to learn and then moved away. What a sweet surprise! She sat me down and taught me. And now I'm hooked. Last month we taught another friend how to do it and Shellie, Daria and I try to find time to Swedish Weave together.
Shortly after I started it I knew it was meant for a home besides mine. MOM! Of course! Burgundy is totally her color and she appreciates handmade things. Then I'll make one for me and my mother in-law! My mom's birthday is in April so perfect!
Well, I changed my mind. My dad's birthday was last week and he loves burgundy! And he loves blankets! And he loves me! And whatever I give dad is also mom's and what I give mom's is dad's so they can share and I will take something else on mom's day.
And in case you are wondering, yes I sew and sell. Just finished a huge order for a nice returning customer/friend and I am starting on Easter dresses soon. I cleaned my blue room, attended the sewing expo and am reading sewing magazines so I'm pumped!
1 comment:
That blanket is beautiful!!! I really want to learn how to do that now! I'll have to look it up on youtube. What was the name of the clip? How long did it take you to make? What a wonderful idea for a present!!!
Post a Comment