Friday, April 25, 2008

For SALE! One used pair of Heelys













When Lee was in Afghanistan for a year, my oldest daughter Amelia, fell off a trampoline and broke her shoulder. Crazy!
So I shouldn't have felt too surprised when less than two months into a deployment, Charlotte broke her wrist. Now we can say every time their dad deploys someone breaks a bone. I hope these stupid deployments will stop or poor Lydia is next!
So what happened, you ask? Before Lee left he wanted to buy the kids some special gifts. I was trying to make it an all Handmade Christmas and he put his nose up to that. He left 2 weeks before Christmas and had other ideas. I agreed and he came home one night with Heelys for Charlotte. She wanted them for a LONG time and he was so excited to finally get them for her. I had to bite my tongue and hold back. I HATE Heelys. I think they are dangerous and most kids, when they get on them, turn into little brainless dare devils that zip around you, don't watch where they're going and drive me nuts. Well, Charlotte became that kid. Oh, she's great on them. She practiced on a friend's and is very confident. That was her down fall.
One night at the mall she was zipping around and not staying by me and twice other people told her to stop heelying. I told her "If you disobey and leave my side again, I am taking them away." I was tired of telling her and she was being rude and dangerous. Less than 5 minutes later I said "Charlotte this way!" I went to the left. She chose the right, and that was wrong. She screamed. I ran to find her on the ground. The sidewalk sloped up and she biffed it. My friend saw it happen. Charlotte yelled "I think I cracked my bone!" My first thought was "serves you right!" She was sore, but I didn't think it was too bad until that night when she cried and said the pain woke her. ( I thought Amelia was faking the pain for a couple days and felt really bad when we found out it was broken. I decided to believe Charlotte.)
I took her in and sure enough, it was broken and she got a cute little purple cast. Here you can see her modeling it and having it signed by the visiting LDS missionaries. I felt so badly for her but she is the toughest bravest little girl.
Lee has had a very nice family in NewYork send him packages. The woman has her children's religion class send cards and letters to him. When they heard his daughter broke her arm, the kids wanted to send her a stuffed animal. They all hugged this squishy dog and sent it with a really sweet card. We all felt so loved by strangers.
We learned a lot of lessons in this. First of all: Mommy knows best. Whether it is don't buy heelys because they are dangerous, or always stay by her in public places and listen and obey (Charlotte cried later in her cast "I wish I had listened to you!") Also, I learned that happy things can happen like receiving service from concerned strangers, and I can't forget to mention my kind friends who helped through it. Especially Gina who came to the clinic to watch my little ones so Charlotte could have xrays and then took all the kids to her house while she got her cast. I couldn't have taken care of her without that help. That is why it really does take a village. Sometimes one adult is just not enough to run a family.
Charlotte is out of the cast and it is a memory now and she is back to heelys again. We were going to sell them on eBay, but they are still here! Unless you want to make me an offer.

8 comments:

Ashley said...

No heelys in this house! Macy would brake both arms! I want to be in your village, sounds like something is always going on!

Sara and Tafu said...

I agree about kids zipping around you w/Heely's on. What really gets me is in the grocery store. Jenilee came to Dole w/her Heely's on one day. She looked so cute. I had never seen an adult using Heely's before. Can you see me tooling around Walmart w/Heely's on?

Designs By Janna said...

Ouch, poor girl! Those heely shoes have always made me nervous!

Over The Top Aprons said...

Such a sweet little girl and she smiles with such a great atttude!!

Nicole said...

My dad made me walk on a fractured foot for four days. Your girls are beautiful, they look just like you. I hope you don't mind me reading your blog!

laungnome said...

Hey,
I'm from the Homefront team on Etsy, and I am trying to contact everyone that isn't signed up for yahoo. We have a promotion we want everyone involved with, I have it listed on my blog as all the info won't fit here :) Also I hate heely's too, my husband spent like $60 on them and only used them once (total waste if you ask me)

http://laungnome.blogspot.com/

The Metcalf Five said...

I am with you, I HATE those heely's and have refused to buy them for my kids. I am sorry that she had to learn the hard way. BTW, we are going back to TX and no, I am way not happy about it. The only good memories I have of TX is of the friends I made not the place. But I don't want to be without my husband without a good enough reason. About a year after we get there he will deploy again.....so I will be right back to where you are.

Mer said...

Hi Angie!
Hey we're sorry to bother you, but we’re going to set our blog to private so we need your email(s). The email(s) that you give us is the email(s) that will be allowed to access our family blog. You can send the email info. to Mer’s email addy:
merduslam(at)gmail(dot)com
Hope to keep in touch with you all! Love and aloha,
The Lams (Rett, Mer, and Kainoa) :o)