Friday, September 17, 2010

Check out my Closets!

I have often said my house would never be in a magazine. But this week, my closets could be! I actually got one of these ideas in a magazine. At the time I thought it was lame but now it is pretty cool. Remember that Cricut I got for Christmas but didn't really want? Well, I eat my words. It is fun. Isn't this closet cool? And the best part is, it has been staying neat!
So this was the idea in a magazine. I read A LOT of magazines so I don't remember where I got this. Maybe Martha Stewart. But since she takes credit for every idea on her blog I'll take credit for it here. And for the record, I like Martha Stewart. But now that I think about it, it may have come from one of those Better Homes and Gardens specialty decorating magazines. But it doesn't matter because you are reading it here.
So I found these baskets at Ross I believe. They fit my shelf perfectly. I bought these little wooden ovals at Michael's and was disappointed they didn't have any with holes. Whatever! That means I got to use the drill which was awesome. (After I called Lee and whined about where the drill bits were and blah blah blah) Acrylic craft paint called Spa Blue ended up looking more periwinkle like my Blue Room walls in Hawaii (if you are catching up that's my sewing room) I wish I would have picked a blue closer to my new Blue Room color, something more aqua and Tiffany box like. Oh well!
The Cricut cut brown vinyl letters for me. This was no sweat except for the tiny "pillowcases". I did that one twice. It was a pain in my booty. Maybe a different font would have been better. In our home we have 2 queen beds and 3 twin beds. Now their sheets have a spot to go and all the pillowcases together. My friend told me to fold the sets with the cases but since I have kids helping with this and I rarely match my cases to sheets, I just did them like this. Hemp cord worked perfectly to tie them to the baskets!





It was a huge triumph to conquer the hair accessories! I have tried for years to get them how I like them and I finally like this. Plastic stacking drawers and cricut letters. I could make another wooden tag and hang "brushes" on my basket here but I probably won't. It's fine how it is for now. It's a huge challenge to get the girls to actually put the hair things and brushes back so they can find them when they want them, so this has been a help. It's low enough for the little girl to reach too. Their bathroom is small with hardly any storage but the linen closet is a good size so I guess it comes out all right. This is why hair stuff is not in the bathroom. No room.



Do you love this? My mom always had one when I was growing up. She said she learned it from my dad's mom. I bought this about 3 years ago planning to fill it and finally am doing it. Now it may look like it would hold nuts and bolts. Instead it holds all those little weird things. Mom's had ear plugs, chalk, tweeezers, chapstick, rubberbands, oh man! Anything you might need that gets lost. And of course she labeled it. I am working on filling mine, So far it has bobby pins, barrettes, hair elastics, nail clippers, bandaids, dental floss and all labeled according to size. This is already proving to be SUPER cool. Now, Martha, if I see this in your magazine I will know you stole it from me. And mom. And grandma.

Now here we have the foyer closet. triple hooks from Lowes and Cricut letters in their favorite colors. Backpacks and favorite jackets off the floor. School started last week and I wanted to do this last year to keep these crazy things contained.

I feel like the coolest mom ever! Now we will see if it all can stay as organized as it is now. So far so good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lydia is actually hanging her backpack up? That is a huge improvement.
And if you needed more proof that I was born to be a Flynn, I've had one of those spare part drawer storage thingies since I stole one from my dad when I was 12.