My nephew, Sam, turned 13 while I was there visiting. I wanted to get him something very cool because he is very cool. He is very smart and would be very polite about anything I gave him. I don't know what 13 year old boys like and this boy has very specific interests. He is an excellent pianist and taught himself the organ. He plays for the men's priesthood meetings in 2 wards every Sunday. (He loves church and stays there for 7 hours every week. And he always wears a suit.) My dad suggested I make him a bag to hold his piano books and large Hymn book he takes to church every week. Great idea and I do know all about bags. But a teengae boy's bag! This had better be good. My first thought was a messenger bag but after talking to Sam, we figured soemthing more like a briefcase would be better.
I chose a really heavy black canvas and embroidered his initials in gray. I found this rockin' cotton print for the lining. I think it is Robert Kaufman but it might be Alexander Henry. It was great to work with and didn't scream cheesy musical notes. It is shades of gray, black and white with pianos, drums (Sam plays drums, too!) saxophones and other instruments. I love how subdued but still funky it is. Sam's 15 year old uncle loved the bag and said he would love pajama pants made of the musical print.
The inside has pen pockets on one side and large pockets on the other.
His initials are on this outside pocket which I lined and finished with a magnet snap. I want him to be able to really use this bag, so I tried to think of the handiest features. The handle is very comfortable as well. I am very pleased with how my design turned out since I had never made anything like it before.
I was thrilled how it turned out. It has a very sturdy double zipper and double stitching throughout. And doesn't it look great on him? Sam has turned into such a handsome, intelligent young man. I am so proud of him and like being around him. I love to sew, but especially enjoy sewing for those people I love the most.
3 comments:
I love your new bags I hope all is going okay.
-Lani
I love the bag, great idea! What a great kid, too!
I love that bag. Looking at all your cool stuff makes me want to sew something. But I've tried before and give myself a migraine!
Post a Comment