There's a lesson to be learned here and I am figuring it out. The first is, I can't do everything! Even if I keep insisting that I can!
I sew almost everyday and I have 4 children and my husband is away. Of course, the house will get messy and boy has it ever been! But I had a streak of energy and worked on sweeping, wiping, cleaning organizing, particularly in the kitchen and dining room. I decided to put some eggs on to boil because I thought they would go well in the nice green salad I would serve for dinner with hotdogs ( a definite dad's not here dinner) What an intelligent, prepared, organized woman I am!
I put them on medium heat and placed the little egg timer in the water and walked away. That was the last time I saw the eggs alive (or even thought about the eggs while they were alive)
(I also broke an egg trying to take them out of the carton. Clumsy today! I cooked it for the baby and forgot about that too!)
The 3 year old woke the 1 year old from a nap so I couldn't sew for a bit. I decided to get on the computer and check email. I was sent a hilarious you tube video which I enjoyed and then started watching other you tube videos (hard to stop)
I smelled something burning and jumped up and looked around. Sniffed around and thought it must be my iron upstairs. So I ran up and the iron was fine and I couldn't smell anything, so I decided to do a little trimming on the straps for my latest bag.
Then I started to smell it upstairs. So I ran down as my brain screams "you were cooking eggs, you big dumbo!"
It was way too late. They had exploded and hit the floor, the hood. They were even on the perpendicular counters and stuck to the microwave! There is egg everywhere, stinky, brown and black burned egg and shell!
So here is the moral I am learning. No matter how hard you work, you can't let your brain go on vacation. There is always going to be something you are responsible for and if you forget about it because you think you "deserve" a break, it is still your fault.
When you work hard and keep your brain working, you will have a great sense of accomplishment. If you think you can sit and watch you tube when you're cooking you may end up with your eggs blowing up or worse!
And no matter how well I clean up the bombed eggs, the bad smell lingers. It would have been better to have prevented the accident, rather than clean up afterward. That is true for many things in life.
A watched pot never boils but an unwatched pot is a disaster!
So this is a poignant blog but could be an early FoodFridayFeature!
P.S. This was not the first time I have burned up eggs or caused a kitchen explosions. See? I should have known better and learned my lesson. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.
In case you're wondering , there were 5 eggs and the pics are not near as bad as the real life mess.
4 comments:
Wow! You and I ARE a lot alike! I get distracted so easily these days...
I blame the children!
OMG! Those photos freaked me out. We had to re-do the kitchen because of a similar incident. Glad all is well though. And I see we have the same taste in breads. Hope you are able to get the smell out!
goodness!!! if it makes you feel any better, about a year ago i actually left eggs boiling on the stove and WENT TO THE GROCERY STORE. i remembered about them while at the deli counter.
luckily, the pot only boiled dry, ruined the eggtimer (i had one just like yours!) and made a horrible smell in the house. i could have burned down the place!!! the smell eventually faded.... i found that it helped to clean everything down with white vinegar.
anyway, i sympathize!
Wow!!! TOO COOL!!!
Post a Comment