Monday, September 17, 2007

Counting my Blessings

Have you ever heard that little poem about "Thank God for dirty dishes because it means we ate well or something"?

I had that thought as I was checking out at the grocery store yesterday. It was a payday in an Army commissary with a caselot/tent sale going on outside. Absolutely insane! I had 5 things on my list and my friend Griselda waiting in the van with our combined 6 kids with a promise of a cold Diet Pepsi for saving me from taking my 4 in the store.

I ended up buying way more because of the great sales and my genius thought of buying all the cereal and luchmeat Icould so we could eat sandwiches and cereal everyday for the next 2 weeks. Sounds easy! I was trying to watch myself because I've had alot of bills and most of the money is spent.

The line was insane and I was rushing to relieve my friend and started feeling the "ugh" knowing I would have to take it home and unload and put it all away in my cluttered house that hadn't been touched all week because of my big sewing projects.

But I looked at the case of paper towels and stacks of shaved turkey, FrootLoops, yogurt and egg cartons and had this warm fuzzy feeling. I am buying this food for my family and I can afford it. I don't have tons of money but my little kids will eat well and be happy.
Most of the world doesn't have enough to eat and far too many children in our own country go to bed hungry. But that is a worry I don't have. Why don't I appreciate that more often? My kids have so much to eat that they like to throw Cheerios all over the living room rug. Maybe they are celebrating, I don't know.

I'm feeeling very grateful and I know when times are rougher we have time to look for the beauty and happiness in the little things in life. I have so many little and big things to be grateful for. I often tell my kids "Who's the luckiest lady in the world?" And they usually know to answer "You are because you have the best kids!"

And the food thing makes me think of my weight which is on my nerves. I should look at it as "I should be grateful I have enough food and the talent of being a great cook!" It doesn't change that my jeans are too tight or make my house neater but I can feel happier about myself and that is most important.

2 comments:

Over The Top Aprons said...

Angela, I truly understand your thinking - I do not mind the grocery shopping but the task of putting it away is "unfun!" - but then I thank the Lord that I have the health and money to take on the task and it really does change my attitude!

You have been tagged - please come to my blog - read what you are to do and lease a comment if you would like to take part. Thanks...

Jen (Mama's Magic Studio) said...

I have another blessing for you.... check out my blog when you get a chance :-)