Monday, May 18, 2009

Food for Thought

What's this? No fabric? No sewing? Well, I do like to cook. And why do I like to cook? Because I like to eat! I came across these as I was trying to upload pictures of ACU bags.

I made pizzas with the kids and these are the before pics. It was so long ago that I am trying to remember what I used for crusts. I think they are individual crusts from the the bakery section. These were really fun and really yummy and all 3 girls got to go crazy. Do this soon if you have kids. (If you have kids, you probably have done this) They were very sweet and gave me pieces of their pizzas. ( I didn't make one for myself)


Oh Man! It's blurry! Not food, obviously, but this was one of my prettiest pedicures.


This stir-fry was so delicious and so lovely! Look at those beautiful colors. This was chicken, mushrooms and snow peas.



In the book "The Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" (I read this as a kid and Amelia read it last year in reading) the kids in the book order a fancy dish from a restaurant; it is something "avec fromage" It ends up being macaroni and cheese! Amelia was sent home with a recipe and wanted to try it. This was excellent. One of the best baked mac and cheese I have had! I should try to dig out the recipe.




Dessert! This is the pastry wrapped fried cheesecake occasionally for sale at Costco, with fresh berries and whipped cream. And Yes, it tastes as good as it looks. Doesn't even matter that it is served in a practical Tupperware bowl. It still rocks!





These are the perfect peanut butter cookies. I am not kidding. I love peanut butter cookies and have eaten many delicious ones in my life. Everyone has the "best" recipe. But this one is really the BEST. Even people who think they have the best taste this and go, Nope you're right. That is the best. I think I will make these today.






Here is one of my forays into Korean food and it was AWESOME! beef, cucumbers and bean sprouts. I wanted to go out to Korean BBQ but I stayed home and did this. The kids were very impressed. The bean sprouts are in a sesame oil dressing and the cucumbers are sour and spicy. I don't think I took pictures of my chop chae, but that was rockin' too! And now that I can make meat jun, I can curb my mad cravings for DongYang after we move.



I made cream puffs more when I had no children. I don't make them as often now, but when I do they are even better than before. If you are going to make some try to find Dr Oetker brand mousse. You mix it up like instant pudding mix but it is so much better. I hope I spelled it right.
It is a good thing that I take pictures of food I make because I get so busy sewing that I often forget how much I love to cook and end up going out or making frozen quick stuff. I love to eat out as well, and try to cook things that I eat in restaurants so I can enjoy them at home. Plus it makes me feel totally cool!
Now I have to get off the computer and keep sewing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please share the mac n cheese recipe, that looks AMAZING! The Mixed Up Files was one of my favorite books, I really need to re-read it. And Steve told me that he is excited you are moving here so you can make him some cream puffs. He said "I know you could make them but its easier if Angie does." Poor guy, its so hard for him when I cook apparently!

Nicole said...

Now I'm hungry!

Our Ohana said...

mmm, yummy toes. You are a great cook, how I wiiiiish I had that kind of talent! (and I'm sure Ryan would wish that too if he saw this pics :)