Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I Miss You, My Hawaii...

Eight years and 3 months ago I moved to Hawaii. Two weeks ago I moved away. Home is where the Army sends us, and Hawaii is my home. I never lived anywhere in my life as long as we lived in Hawaii. I cried as we drove to the airport and cried as we flew over the islands. I haven't cried alot since we got here becuase I am at my mom's and we are busy and it kind of feels liek a dream. I uploaded "a few" of my favorite photo memories. That is a hard thing because every picture of Hawaii is beautiful and of course my children are even more beautiful and I have watched them change and multiply from 2 to 4. Above is the Laie Hawaii LDS Temple.
Above are my girls on a hike to Makapu'u lighthouse.


This is in Moanalua Botanical Gardens. We only went their once, but I wish I had gone again.
Below is part of the NaPali coast on Kauai. We hiked a little ways into it.




A cockroach graveyard at the kids' school. I had seen enormous ones in Texas, but the flying Hawaiian ones were new. Once shortly after we moved there, a huge cockroach flew onto my head and hit my plastic hairband and it broke in two! It really hurt. We moved out of that house after one year and didn't have the roaches as bad. The one below was very large. I should have put a quarter next to it.





My oldest in a hula performance at school. I love hula. It is so beautiful when the masters do it and so sweet and cute when the children do it.




When Lee came home from Iraq on R&R we went to the beach often. I think this is KoOlina, one of our favorites for the kids.






Favorite memories? Well , we picked up 2 souvenirs in Hawaii. A 3rd little girl and our only boy. Here is his blessing day in 2006.







Here's that little boy in his first Aloha shirt. I bought this shirt the day before he was born. I walked the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet trying to go into labor. Oh man! Didn't go into labor, but I found this sweet little outfit for him.





La'akea at age 2! Her name is about sacred light and she was a little miracle and well worth the wait.
















Some favorite pics of my older girls in our earlier years in Hawaii. The one at the temple is blown up and framed and hung on a wall. They are so cute!






What do serious sewers do on vacation? They find fabric shops! We went to Kapaia Stitchery on each trip to Kauai and enjoyed it so much. (Well, I did. Lee was just patient) The best part was talking to the local ladies
(and drooling over the fabrcic of course. Can you say BATIKS! WOW!)

Overlooking the taro fields on the way to Hanalei. I love this spot.









Of course, I love the flowers of Hawaii, but I dig some of the green plants even more. Monstera leaves and breadfruit have the coolest shapes to me. Below is monstera on the Big Island




Protea


A sunset on Kauai. It is my wallpaper on my laptop. Looks just like a postcard.


Near Hilo on the Big Island


Is it bouganville or bougainvillea? I don't know but I love it and always loved seeing the bright vivid colors on the side of the road and in parking garages and in haku leis.

I took these flower pics in Lahaina, Maui



White hibiscus like this aren't common. I think they are specially bred. My favorite has to be the yellow ones that grow at our chapel and the red ones outside my house.





Plumeria is probably my favorite island flower because of the beauty and scent (Jasmine and Gardenia are hard to beat though) I love all the colors of plumeria but the classic yellow and white is my favorite.




I think these last pics are Maui but I don't remember and it really doesn't matter. They are beautiful and perfect and I miss it. And I probably always will. I live in Washington State now and it is gorgeous here, especially this time of here. We are blessed to move here.
But Hawaii is in my heart and I miss it.



4 comments:

Traci said...

Seeing this brings back my own memories and tears to my eyes. I miss it too. If we can't get back there, someday us ladies need to plan a get-a-way with our husbands and all meet up at the Hale Koa! I hope all is well. We miss you guys.

3DCranes said...

Awwww, Angie!
Sorry I didn't get a chance to see you again before you left. I think we left about the same time, I left on the 10th. Going through a little bit of culture shock here in Georgia, not to mention a whole lot of homesickness...

Take care,
Michelle

Our Ohana said...

Hawaii misses your beatiful family too, Angie! You definately left your mark on this island and we will always remember your awesome personality and the friendships you made wherever you went!

Anonymous said...

HOLY COW! I have been so out of the loop. YOU MOVED! I am so sorry I didn't get to say goodbye. I just took for granted that you would always live here. I'm always late to the party.

If you are still missing the Hawaii Cockroaches, I can send you some.

Best of luck to you and your beautiful family.

Denise