Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The First Step...

The first step in addiction recovery is admitting you have a problem. Well, I do. I decided it was time to go through fabric when I had an order that needed a specific one. and I couldn't find it. So my sweet husband started pulling all the containers from the garage. I took this picture because I was so amazed at how much I had. Then Lee said, "Oh, I'm not done. You still have more."

More?! I had no idea how many I had. Lee ended up pulling about 15 containers from the garage and in my actual sewing room I had 8-10 drawers and an entire 5 drawer filing cabinet. All filled with fabric. Some of these boxes were HUGE. One that holds chenille is about the size of a small coffin.


I was too embarrassed to take another picture. What is one of the 7 deadly sins? Gluttony. I am a fabric glutton. So, I went through and purged a bunch of fabric, including 2 garbage bags full of scraps. My scraps aren't regular scraps. They are really nice scraps. I even considered bundling scraps and selling them on Etsy to crafters and quilters.

It was more than a little painful to part with fabric, even fabric that hadn't seen daylight in a couple years. But I have a semi belief in feng sui, and having boxes full of unused fabric is stale energy.


I am now down to about 8 boxes on my garage shelves. They include the fabrics I don't use regularly: fleece, chenille, canvas, flannel, felt and even batting. They are separated much better now and I am actually using them more often becuae I know what I have and can find it. I hate buying a notion or fabric and come home and see that "Dang! I already have navy blue fleece!" Or "Crud! This is my 3rd identical purple spool of thread!"


Oh thread. Yeah, that's another one. I could do a post just on thread. I'll save that for another day, because, again, I am very embarrassed.


But I admit it is a problem that I am working on. And working on it means sewing it all up and selling stuff to make lots of money! (to buy more sewing items. JK!)




And yeah, yeah, I know that storing fabric in plastic is a no-no but come on! How many of us do it? And it doesn't matter because I am sewing it all up!

Right?

1 comment:

Our Ohana said...

Thanks for the much needed laugh, Angie, even if it is a little bit at your expense! I love your gluttonous, fabriccy ways! Everyone loves what you do with those fabrics, so I don't think anyone would ever hold it agains you! So, really, why is fabric not to be store in plastic? I have not heard that one.