They hadn't had a real wedding reception, so her awesome mother in-law and my good friend, Dana, planned a gorgeous day for them.
They chose a really beautiful dress for the big day. The problem was, it did not meet the modesty standard for a temple ceremony or for the girl to wear after she had been to the temple.
Enter, ME.
Angie, can you help us? Uh, I guess so. No it was more like SURE! Why not?!
The dress was strapless with these little removable strap/sleeve things. I lined them and moved them and secured them to cover everything that needed covered. Even a jacket would not have covered enough if she moved.
I knew it would be tricky to find the right fabric for a jacket but a jacket was my only option. I wasn't going to attempt to build shoulders and sleeves for this dress. I didn't want to take away from the beauty of it or cover it, but it had to be modest and functional.
The whole experience conjured up my time as a bridal consultant when I was first married. Selling dresses and measuring for alterations...good times. Luckily no one was standing over me pushing a sales quota.
We were fortunate Dana asked for my help right before I was leaving for a trip to Hawaii, in November! I took photos of the gown and went on my search at Fabric Mart on Oahu.
I found this lovely embroidered, beaded organza. It couldn't have matched any better than it did. I wish my photos were better. The jacket fit her so well and looks like it came with it. I also added bustle hook and loop and applique' to hide it. Hmmm...where did that picture go?

I'm especially proud of how the fabric lines up so well. It fit her with perfection and is just another reason why having something custom made is the way to go. The bridal shop had nothing like this.
The straps alterations were all done by hand and took forever. But in this case forever ended and I completed in time. I delivered the dress to the temple and dressed Saydee after the sealing for ther pictures outside. She looked adorable and gorgeous and wonderful and so happy. And the look on her husband's face was incredible! This took a huge amount of work. Hours and hours of mental and physical labor here, but what a lovely result.
I'm pleased with the challenge it gave me and am more than satisfied but I'm not ready to take this on again soon. But for such a sweet family and to be a part of their sacred day, I would do it all over again.
Congratulations, Gibson Family!
2 comments:
Awww... She looks gorgeous. Nice work on the jacket! So very trendy looking and modest too woo-hoo!
Very beautiful Angie..I love all the pictures.
Post a Comment