Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Modest is Hottest


When people ask me "Can you do......?" I often say "I never have but I bet I can" and this was one of those times. The above gorgeous girl bought a gorgeous sparkly dress. It was STRAPLESS. Well, she is one of my Laurel girls from church and she wants to stay covered and modest so she asked me to help. I'm not a magician and let me say that I would rather everyone buy dresses with sleeves. But this challenge worked out.
The dress came with a sheer green mesh scarf to wear over the shoulders, and the girl also bought a green satin scarf that closely matched the satin on the dress. I took the entire bodice apart so that I could also make this size 4 dress a size zero for her tiny body. Then I made these interesting sleeves. I cut and stitched and HAND SHIRRED the fabric. Why did I capitalize that? Because it was totally tricky! Then I inserted them and put the bodice all back together including lining. Whew! The finished dress looks totally awesome. The back of it came down in a V so she was nicely covered in back, too. The best part of this whole transformation was that this girl was so much more comfortable in the dress once her top was covered. When she tried it on for fitting she kept tugging and standing awkwardly. Once she was covered, she stoodly proudly and comfortably. Right on! And that is why modest is truly hottest. A girl who knows who she is, is comfortable with who she is and doesn't attract the wrong attention by showing her body. That's a hot girl. Nice.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Love it! Modest is way hotter :)

Our Ohana said...

Angie, you are awesome! Looking at the picture before reading the post I would never have guessed that those sleeves weren't already on that dress when she bought it! Gorgeous, AND modest!

Amanda said...

great job angie it looks great. what an amazing young womn for wanting to be modest. That is awesome.