Monday, December 13, 2010

I Love Craft Fairs!

I want to title this that I love it because I really do. I love fairs and I loved this one. I don't want you to get me wrong when I tell you about it. It all began when I developed this wicked ribbon obsession. My friend Gail taught us all to make bows at church. Hers were so cute I wanted to learn. Well it sucked me in! I started buying ribbon like crazy, along with cute buttons. My plan was to do a show all along, but plans changed a little when I went to Hawaii for a week! (Bummer right?)

I have a sick addiction to fabric. It is gluttony which is a sin! I decided to go through the piles of blanket fabric first and ended up with about a dozen slippery and minky blankets. Beautiful I have to admit. Vanity is a sin too right? Whatever...I did a great job on them.

And the bows...over 60 bows. I needed to unload some bows.

I went online and started searching. I needed something on the 11th; it was the only day I could swing. I ended up on Craig's list and found Winterfest at Geiger Montessori School in Tacoma. I email the lady, looked up Geiger to make sure it was a real school having Winterfest, sent in my $25 (I couldn't go wrong for $25) and started sewing.

I ended up making 8 aprons and had to leave 4 half finished ones on the ironing board. Just not enough time. I was very proud of my bow cards and laminated signs I made.

In the photo above is my daughter wearing an apron and playing on the iPod. You can see the bow display, blankets in front and my rack of aprons behind.
Above photo shows the blanket display and my lovely headless girl. I embroidered an "AMK Stitches" shirt for her a while back so she won't be naked. She looked beautiful modeling a Christmas hostess apron and a couple bags. But I am definitely getting her a padded bra.
Now for the few cons. I was at the end of a LOOOOOOOOOOONG hall. I mean super long. By a door that made it really cold. But people didn't come in that door much so traffic was very slow. Some people wouldn't make it down the hall so they missed seeing me completely. I would see people give a little glance and turn around. sigh...
Another con was the booth was supposed to be 10x10. Nope. Very small and I felt squished next to my neighbors. I didn't set up my second table and was worried my table looked cluttered but it still had the girly pink and blue theme I was going for.
I liked having a wall behind me. I liked that it was indoors! My first craft fair where I didn't have to set up a tent! I loved my neighbors! I had the pottery people on one side, Rebecca and Jill who shared her plantain chips and candied ginger with me. Beautiful pottery and I am kicking myself over a blue lidded jar I wanted. I couldn't justify any purchases because I didn't make enough of my own sales.
I had Brenda the spinner and crocheter and knitter on the other side. She spun and we visited and kids would come and she would show them the drop spindle. It was very Montessori friendly. She has beautiful handspun and dyed yarns and items she has created. We are going to meet up so she can get an apron and I can get some yarn for someone who is special to me who really likes to knit but I won't say her name in case she reads this. Brenda has an Etsy shop Naturally Spun. She is not only talented but so kind.
And so were my pottery ladies. And the other crocheter. And the book lady. And the gingerbread lady. And the nice Montessori people. And the... Oh so many nice people! And that is my favorite part of craft fairs! I love the kind talented people I meet and the kind people who stop to chat and the ones who buy and the ones who call me later and ask me to make something for them.
Overall this was a very good experience because I got my craft fair, Sewing/Selling mojo back!
I have been in a slump since I moved away from Hawaii and this was the shot in the arm or kick in the butt I needed. I am very excited for my next one. I will just try to plan better and not decide 10 days before the event.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

I'm SO sad I missed this even if it was great! Would have been so fun! Did you get any potential future shows?! Let's plan one soon!

Anonymous said...

I'll write about my latest craft fair experience soon. I've got another one planned in March, in Selah (about halfway between my house and my parent's). Let me know if you want in on that one!

Angela said...

Stacey and Heather,
I would LOVE to do shows with either and both of you!