Thursday, May 6, 2010

Easter Eggs

If you thought you might see lovely colored eggs, sorry. We had those. But these are pheasant eggs. My friend Christy raises pheasants and has been giving us their eggs because they aren't incubating this year. Was I little nervous to try them? Yes. But come on! They're birds eggs and I love eggs! (I thought I could try a snail last week. Uh, no. Way too grossed out. I used to have snail pets.)

Pheasant eggs are delicious. They taste like chicken eggs but with a softer texture. No rubbery whites. I really like them.
The best part is they are tiny and tiny food is really fun to make and eat. I have small hands, and this is still very small in my hand and look at a chicken egg next to the pheasants.
(Christy says you can eat more of them and feel less guilty because they are small)

They are much bigger. We made deviled eggs for Easter and it was really fun.


I had a little trouble peeling them. My next time I got it down. They have tougher membranes but are more delicate inside.

So I have a big deviled egg in the middle and the rest are pheasant. You can pop them in your mouth with one bite. My favorite is to fry up two of them over easy and eat them on a slice of buttered toast.
Oh look! A nice daughter setting the table!


I took pictures of the dinner table because it looked so pretty. Amelia and Grandpa J are waiting patiently so they can eat the yummy food. I made a pasta dish that was super yummy. It was in honor of Easter but really a late birthday dinner for Grandpa. It was really special having the grandparents for Easter.


I really love my dining room. Every time I go in there, any time of day, I always love this room. It was the first room I entered when we were house hunting and helped sell me on it.
For more pheasant egg love visit my sister in-laws blog Huckleberry Stew She cooked some pheasant eggs and I think she had chukker eggs. They are the spotted ones and slightly smaller. I don't know if that is how you spell chukker and I know it is a bird and I saw it at Christy's house and they lay eggs. That's all I know about that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I would love to try those cute little eggs! There's no way I'd ever consider tasting a snail though, kudos on not doing it. :)
interesting post:)