Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to introduce you to my friend, Tanya. I met Tanya when she called me asking if I made ACU bags. She had seen a woman with one in the clinic and she gave her my name and number. She had been looking for an ACU bag for a LONG time and had even posted on a bulletin board looking for someone and this led me to create a bag for another woman! So word of mouth works in many ways.Tanya knew exactly what she wanted and even drew me a picture! This bag she is wearing above, while holding her adorable son, was the first item I made for her. I later sewed 3 more bags, a tepee and a few aprons.
Now this leads me to explain my title. An experiment in design and talent. A couple years ago I attended a workshop about making a business out of your craft. I remember so well a woman in that class saying she wanted a successful business, but she hated taking special orders. She wanted to only make what she liked to make and thought if she took a custom order, it would ruin the whole creative joy she felt while crafting. Well, everyone (Mostly the instructor) jumped all over her for this one. I will share what I believed then and what I have learned since then
I love to sew. I mean I get such a thrill from sewing and I am really good and the more I sew, the better I get and the more I learn. I think I am very talented. As far as my bags go, I rarely use patterns (especially for ACU bags) and just make up as I go along. Some are better than others, but that's how I learn. Tanya has asked me to make 4 bags now and every one of them have been different and they are for 4 different women. My brain wouldn't have come up with these designs. Tanya designed them, I consulted and gave my opinion when needed and she trusted me to create it. Every time we were both happy with the results. She came up with some really neat designs, but frankly, I was freaked out by some at first. They weren't my style. But I learned and experimented and they worked and it was a fun challenge every time! Win-Win situation! And remember, they were my creations but I wasn't the one carrying them around or even the gift giver. That was Tanya, and I created what she wanted. Do you see what I'm getting at?So above and below you see a little bag I made for Tanya's sister. It is large enough to hold a romance novel, they have a pocket on one side for money, etc. and photo pocket for her ID. Tanya chose a colorful aloha print and purple embroidery.

This bag is actually a DCU bag made from the uniform the Army used to wear in desert combat areas. These were replaced by the digital ACU print worn now. Tanya gave me her husband's uniform and chose purple Michael Miller Disco Dot for this tote style bag for her mother in-law. The inside is a combo lining of solid and print which I was surprised I am crazy about! I have always preferred prints, but will start mixing solids.
I think this is my favorite of all my Tanya bags. Very fun but still simple. The piping and trim really make it for me.

Talk about an experiment! This bag was designed by Tanya for her mother who is a student. It is a very large messenger style bag, featuring all 3 uniforms of the Army. She asked for a yellow ribbon and a breast cancer awareness ribbon. The aloha print is a nice choice with the browns and black.

She also asked for a photo pocket and a velcro spot for patches. I wasn't sure about this bag when she first gave me her design idea. How did it turn out? Well, if you ask the designer, she will tell you it was perfect! And I agree, it turned out pretty sweet. I made her a matching zipper pouch from the print to hold snacks.

Now, for the bag of all bags. I think of this as a wearable scrapbook. Before this one, my ACU bags were pretty conservative. Tanya wanted everything and she got it!

The pink and brown shopping girl fabric is all Tanya. The inside zipper opens 2 ways because it came right off the front of the uniform. Tanya is a very active supporter of breast cancer awareness and finding a cure, so it was important to her to add this pink ribbon along with the yellow ribbon to support her deployed husband.
All the inside pockets came from the uniform and included the pen pocket from the left arm and a modified drawstring pant leg pocket which perfectly holds her Pepsi (and if it was mine, it would also hold a Diet Coke) There is also clip to hold her keys. Handy!

This side of the bag is the exact front of the uniform complete with velcro for rank if desired. Tanya has told me that when she is missing her husband, hugging her ACU bag makes her feel closer to him. It is just his size and incredibly sturdy. I was tickled when I ran into her in the commissary and she had her bag on her shoulder, all smiles!


Now, for the bag of all bags. I think of this as a wearable scrapbook. Before this one, my ACU bags were pretty conservative. Tanya wanted everything and she got it!

The pink and brown shopping girl fabric is all Tanya. The inside zipper opens 2 ways because it came right off the front of the uniform. Tanya is a very active supporter of breast cancer awareness and finding a cure, so it was important to her to add this pink ribbon along with the yellow ribbon to support her deployed husband.
All the inside pockets came from the uniform and included the pen pocket from the left arm and a modified drawstring pant leg pocket which perfectly holds her Pepsi (and if it was mine, it would also hold a Diet Coke) There is also clip to hold her keys. Handy!


This side of the bag is the exact front of the uniform complete with velcro for rank if desired. Tanya has told me that when she is missing her husband, hugging her ACU bag makes her feel closer to him. It is just his size and incredibly sturdy. I was tickled when I ran into her in the commissary and she had her bag on her shoulder, all smiles!
Thanks for trusting me with your bag designs for yourself and these beautiful women in your life, Tanya. It was truly an honor and pleasure. It also taught me about myself and to trust my talents because I can accomplish more than I thought I can when I open myself to new possiblities.
9 comments:
I got to see Tanya's bag in person, we attended a retreat together and were placed at the same table, but it is beyond beautiful! You brought so much of her personality into the bag, and all the little touches were amazing. The soda and key holders! Super great Idea! I am teaching my friend Danielle to sew and one of our first projects are going to be ACU bags! We have both been wanting one so bad. Its going to be a fun project! Hope all things are well! Hugs
Aloha I am looking for an ACU tote bag for myself. My husband is getting ready to be deployed soon and I would really like to get one to put some of his patches on. Can you help me? My email address is crystalstanley91@yahoo.com
Thank You and I Love Your Work it is Awesome...
Your Army bags are amazing! Where is a good place for a beginner sewer like me to start? I think I would need patterns to work with. Where would be a good place to get them? I really love the wallet too.
I asked about the patterns but I forgot to leave my e-mail address. demeciarogers@yahoo.com
Thank You,
Demecia Rogers
OIF Veteran
I love the bags in the pictures that you have done! I have been looking everywhere for one and i love yours. please email me if you are taking orders. eroticracergurl@yahoo.com
Thanks so much, laura
You're items are awesome! You should be so proud of yourself for what you've done for yourself and others. I think all of your items turned out great!!!
I was looking to make an NWU tote for myself because my husband is in the Navy.
I have found several templates online of just regular totes, but I was wondering if there were any specific websites that have patterns for military purses?
Your bags are great by the way!
If you could, i'd love for you to e-mail me and let me know if you know of any websites that have just the military bag templates.
My email is:
swelt071@yahoo.com
Thank you!
I want to get an ACU set, the tote and the wallet... But I can't seem to find a place around me that has them the way i want. My soon to be husband is in the ARMY and I want to get the set as a surprise. I want a zebra print interior to the bag and a plain print on the interior of the wallet. I have a great interest in the bags here. I want to be able to put all the taps on. Name, U.S. Army, etc. Maybe a picture slit in the center.
Wise107@canton.edu
Please get back to me if you could design a pattern and send a price.
Thank you Very Much,
Melanie Wise :)
I am LOVING Tanya's bag and want one too....along with a wallet! I invision the same sort of pattern but with a blue coordinating fabric and not the pink ribbon but just the yellow one. My hubby hasn't been in the Army long so I don't have a shirt but could probably find one. If you could e-mail me with a price I would appreciate it. jennifermcbroom@hotmail.com THanks!
Post a Comment