It's 2007! Who doesn't have a blog? Well, I do now!
I have always loved sewing. My mom taught me to sew and was wonderful! She made all our dresses for Proms and other dances. She sewed my wedding dress, curtains for our home, covers for the cushions in the station wagon. She would embroider table cloths and our nightgowns!
I would sit by her and watch her sew for me long into the night. I would be so sleepy but I knew if she was up sewing for me I better be awake and talking to her or somewhere in the house cleaning or something or fixing dinner. I think of my mom sometimes when I'm up late sewing.
I would also sit close and she would hand me the garment so I could press it with the iron and hand it back so she wouldn't have to get up. I am totally teaching my daughters to do that!
In junior high school, she suggested I take sewing. Well, I'm not going to go into my far-out teacher, (she had the biggest hair I've seen) but I did learn so much.
Mom would help me sew things at home and encouraged me to always do my best. I knew it had really sunk in what she had taught me when I was making a dress for a friend's little girl about 10 years ago and I was in hurry. I remember thinking I would just leave the facings unfinished, thinking noone sees the inside. I could hear my mom's voice in my head saying, "If you are going to do it, do it right. Y ou should make the inside look as good as the out." So I finished the edges of my facings.
My mom doesn't sew much anymore. After raising 5 children, she went back to school. She is now a kindergarten teacher with a Master's degree in Educational Technology. Sewing is not my mom's only talent. She always made things with her hands when we were growing up, including wonderful dinners, desserts and birthday cakes. She is the fastest typist I know and a wiz at computers. She counsels us lovingly with advice as we raise her grandchildren. She volunteers selflessly at church. She has the loveliest smile and a beautiful singing voice as well as being an accomplished pianist.
It's fitting that I dedicate my very first posting to my beautiful mother. I think the term Angel Mother is used after someone has died. My mom is an Angel on Earth. I am so grateful for the knowledge and wisdom she passed on to me and I hope I can make her proud in all I do. My heart is full of love for her.
* Note to my mom when you read this. Sorry if you are embarassed. You look beautiful in this picture.
3 comments:
If i were your mom, i'd be so honored to have you for a daughter!!! Great blog!
What a lovely tribute to your mother. And how fun to show her picture when she was young. You mother will surely be very proud to read this!
Oh my goodness Angela, this left me in tears!
Becky
Post a Comment