Monday, September 28, 2009

Aloha Oe


I am having so many camera issues and haven't wanted to blog without pictures on here. But I wonder if anyone out there has even noticed. That's ok. I enjoy my blog and seeing what I make so that is enough. I also laugh at my own jokes.
So here is a picture from Hawaii for 2 reasons. One is because I miss Hawaii desperately. Two, because I haven't downloaded pictures from Washington because I have these camera issues.
This is my family on our last Sunday in Hawaii. After Sacrament meeting we stood on the stand (with 3 other families who happened to be leaving, too. I've never seen that before) And the entire congregation sings "Aloha Oe". After, ward members line up and give you leis and hug and kiss you.
I have seen this done many, many times in 8 years and never wanted to experience it. I always cry when I hear "Aloha Oe" even if I am happy to see the people leave (JK)
Well, it was worse than I even imagined it. I was a mess. So many wonderful, beautiful people to say goodbye to. And the beautiful islands. I feel a part of my heart was ripped out and is still there.
One of the saddest parts is my horrible hair in this picture. I look very "local" as in local to Hawaii with long straight hair, but it isn't lovely on me like it is on my local friends. I'm not digging it. It highlights my weight gain.
We received many lovely leis from our friends and shed so many tears. My oldest daughter cried as much as me. This was a memory I will hold close to me forever. I am reminded of the line in Simon and Garfunkel's song "If I never loved I never would have cried." It is sad and painful but worth it. So maybe more like Garth Brook's line "I would have missed the pain but I would have also missed the dance."
So I need to focus on positive things and the now and my new normal life. We're an Army family and are so blessed to be sent somewhere we love so much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok I was crying while i read this. I loved your ward and they were so nice to me when I visited. Anytime you need to go visit I will be right there with you!! Love you and miss you