Sunday, August 23, 2009

Random Pics to Brighten our Day

We love pictures on blogs, right? I do. I am getting settled into my new home now and have time to blog. I'm missing Hawaii and longing to sew. I miss old friends. So these pictures are cheering my spirits and I hope you like them too.
Above is my taro pie from McDonalds. You can only get this in Hawaii. Regrettably, I didn't like it much. But the haupia pie they have (haupia is the coconut pudding type dessert you may have had at a luau) is awesome. The banana pie is all right. I love the local specialties you can find at Hawaii McDonalds, including Spam, portuguese sausage and saimin.
I had wanted to eat at the Waioli Tea Room for years. I finally did with my good friends Sara, Beth and Jana. Jana was also leaving Hawaii and it was sad. The food was wonderful, the tea pots, charming and the belly laughs, divine.


This cute green thing was crawling on this tree. I tried to get a good shot.



I love finding the names of my children. This is on the Big Island.


Kimura's Fabrics on the Big Island. I have a nice husband who doesn't mind too much searching for fabric stores on vacation. This one was pretty old and funky but I found the perfect batik to accent a project and another fabric to admire and fold. A super sweet old lady was running this. I read about it online before we went. You just have to experience it.


I made this diaper-wipe pouch for a friend in Hawaii. I loved these fun fabrics for a little boy.



What the heck? I bought this bunch of bananas and thought this one was very odd and fat. We opened it to find it was 2 bananas growing in one skin! Weird! I should have taken a picture of what it looked with a bite out of it. I didn't want to eat it though. I was too freaked out by it.


Another diaper pouch for a very sweet friend in Hawaii. I was tickled when I saw her husband with it at church. I love my diaper pouch and think they are so handy! Don't you love this fun fabric?

I'm feeling happier already.
Now for a funny story. Well, funny to me. And it's not the story of me picking blackberries, getting stuck in the thorns and stung by hornets 5 times. That was bad.
I received a phone call on my cell phone and the person asked for Angie. Yes, I'm Angie. She had found a card with my number and website written on it in er husband's wallet. It took a bit of asking and she didn't want to answer quickly, but I got out of her that she lives in a nearby city (I thought at first she had a business card from a crat faior but I have only done fairs in Hawaii) Then it hit me! "Is your husband a mover?" Yes, he is. The movers that brought our household goods asked about my sewing business. I had many, many boxes with "sew'n items" and "fabric containers" written on them. A couple of them were very interested and I gave them my information. I didn't recognize the husband's name she told me on the phone but these guys had children and grandchildren and they wanted to learn more about my tepees and maybe purses for their wives. But this wife was freaked out! When I figured it out I told her "Don't worry! There is nothing fishy going on!" After I hung up I laughed so hard. She was seriously concerned about a strange woman's name and number in her husband's wallet. Why didn't she ask him? Why's she going through the wallet? Anyway, I don't know if I gave the blog address or what to these guys and don't want to embarass them but I will say this: Men, if you pick up my phone number because you want to buy a purse or soemthing, please go home and tell your wife so she won't get freaked out.

1 comment:

Traci said...

That's funny! Let me know when you are sewing again. I need to order another hooded towel and blanket for a new neice coming in November! Hope all is well there!