Tuesday, April 28, 2009

ACU Bag in Blue -or- Amy Butler meets Camo


This ACU bag project was significant for many reasons. First, the customer found me through another customer and they have never met in person! And that customer who told this customer got my name from someone in the clinic waiting room! I wish I knew who. Well, I will show you that woman's bag in a day or two but I will show you this one first. The word of mouth thing gets me so excited! And both of these woman asked me to do new things, things I have never tried on a bag. When they ask, I think to myself, hmmm... I think I could do that. Then as I start to make it I might go AAAHHH!! Why did I agree to try that?! But then I love it and I was challenged. Both projects involved women whose husbands are either currently deployed or getting ready to deploy, thus it becomes a very emotional process. The bags are made from their husband's own uniforms and they were designed completely by these women (with my guidance, of course)and the fabric was chosen by them from my collection. This lovely blue is Amy Butler and I was thrilled, thrilled, thrilled to use it!


Lydia always wants her picture taken. Here she is in jammies again! I had to take fast pictures since the bag owner was waiting on the chair for me.


This is a wallet/ billfold whatever you want to call it. I didn;t gether reaction on this since I finished it the next day and her husband picked it up, but I like it. It holds bills, checkbook and cards and has a window for an ID card. I used the button off the ACU pants to secure it.




Custom embroidery! Sweet!





This zipper pouch I was finishing literally as the woman came to get it.! Inside is the coordinating floral to this dot. I am running low on the dot. It will hold makeup I think and be very handy. I love zipper pouches.












What's inside? Well, the zipper pouch is inside and lots of cool pockets taken from the uniform, including the handy pen pocket! This bag is huge! It would make a super traveling bag or diaper bag.




Another tricky thing: a key fob! AAHHH!!! But it is cute. And the yellow ribbon looks very cool on the side too.








This is the back side and there are 2 pockets here but it looks like one. Why? Because it is camouflaged! HAHAHAHAH!!! Oh I am funny! The other short end also has a pocket to display patches (if you know the uniform, they come from the shoulders) She will show her husband's unit patch aswell as the American flag. My husband gave her a black American flag patch to display when her husband deploys. That was my idea! A great conversation starter, especially for civillians.











And here on the front of the bag we have name, rank and a personal message on the pocket "A Soldier's Princess" because her soldier calls her his princess. I have made a vinyl photo pocket also. Every part of this bag is personal to the owner and it is special to me to create it. Do you want one? Well, they don't come cheap, but they are worth it. I am grateful to these women for entrusting me with their stories and allowing me to be apart of a tribute to their husbands and their love for them. I felt like I was creating a scrapbook for their arms and a way for them to feel closer to their soldier when they are gone so long and so far away.








8 comments:

Jen said...

Sweet!!! I soooo love it!!! Are you selling them at your Etsy store?

Jen said...

Sorry, I get a little ahead of myself at times...I see that you used their hubby's uniforms...I may need to have you make me one... :)

The Metcalf Five said...

so about how much would you charge for a bag similar to that but in a medium size? I have the fabric and uniform but no sewing machine or patience right now with Tim gone. Ha. Email and let me know.Or better yet you can call me. If you want me to call, email me with your number. I wanted one done for myself and one for his mom.....Her she would probably want big.

Traci said...

Hey Angie! I love this bag and one of these days I want to order one since a deployment will be in our future after here. Hope all is well there! Miss you guys!

Ashley said...

Very nice! I can't wait for mine!

Unknown said...

oo I really want one of these anyway I can buy one?

Angela said...

Yes you can buy one! If you are interested, let me know, and I will get you my email and info. Just comment again!
Angie

Unknown said...

ok thats great! I really dont need anything huge but I like them big. I really dont need the velcrow stuff other than for his nameplates Im not really picky but I love pink and I want a yellow ribbon on the side and Im happy as a clam