There are 15 different rice cookers on display in the Mililani Walmart. That is less than the Kunia Walmart which had 17 or 18 one night. Even after living in Hawaii for almost 7 years and considering I am a wiz at making rice in my own cooker, I am still amazed at little things like half an aisle of rice cookers in Walmart. I am glad I had my camera this time to share with you all.
Growing up my mother made a lot of different foods. We had lumpia and adobo, sweet and sour and stir fries (chowmein!). She would serve rice with anything that was considered Asian. But she often made boil in a bag long grain rice. It tastes like water. I never liked rice much. And it always had a sauce on it. It's not really mom's fault. It's different culture and traditions. Likewise my inlaws always want a sauce on their rice. No, just rice. Rice is good! I remember seeing a sign up sheet for one of our first church potlucks. There amongst the "main dish" , "salads" and "desserts" was "rice". I thought it was the funniest thing. I am still not local enough that I eat rice with every meal or anything, but I love it and appreciate it. I am fascinated with all the different kinds of rice there are. We eat it with our eggs and our Spam. And I love having cold leftover rice to make yummy fried rice. Mmm... I think that may be dinner tomorrow night. That or we will go to DongYang for MeatJun, oh and rice!
Rice is just one of the many reasons I am so glad to live in Hawaii.
No comments:
Post a Comment